A group of union members has initiated a much-needed awareness campaign to draw attention to the following:
- 75-80% of Pratt faculty are currently deemed ineligible for any form of health insurance benefits through the Institute
- Of Pratt’s yearly operating budget of 170 million, less than 20% is spent on faculty (that’s including all part-time and full-time faculty benefits).
- The Pratt administration has agreed to provide healthcare benefits for part-timers in the past 2 contracts, but has yet to honor these agreements in practice.
- Every other college of Pratt’s prestige and caliber in NYC provides healthcare benefits to both full and part-time faculty (including The New School, Cooper Union, School of Visual Arts, CUNY, NYU, and Columbia).
- UFCT’s current demand is that Pratt grant all part-timers (who teach a 50% workload for at least two semesters) access to healthcare benefits with a 25% contribution by the employee.
- This is just the beginning of a multi-pronged campaign. Check out the website, or download the Healthcare FactSheet to find out how to support this endeavor.